Friday, February 5, 2010

Transition

I found this at the University of South Australia's website.

What adjustments will I need to make when I return home?

When you first came to Australia you needed to adjust to a different life and culture. When you return home it could also take time to readjust to life in your country. This is called re-entry or reverse culture shock. Adjustments you will need to make may include:

  • Cultural
  • Changes in lifestyles
  • Family and community pressures, expectancies and performances
  • Social
  • Recognition of different attitudes and values
  • Differences between patterns of social interactions
  • Language
  • Changes in the way you communicate (accent, gestures)
  • Feeling unfamiliar with changes in language and expressions at home
  • National and Political
  • Changes in political conditions at home
  • Changes in your own political views
  • Educational
  • Reconciling aspects of Australian education with education at home
  • Differences in technology

Thinking about the kinds of readjustments you may experience and talking to someone about your expectations about going home can help with the transition.

I was wondering why there isn't one at the University of Michigan website, or is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment